Thursday, November 13, 2014

young teacher



i was frustrated. i'd gone through at least a half dozen teaching assistants and the semester wasn't even half over. the leaves of the palm trees outside glistened in the sunshine and bent enticingly in the warm trade winds. the sapphire blue of the ocean could be clearly seen through the floor to ceiling windows that took up an entire wall of my classroom. my students were distracted and screwing around and i knew i was wasting my time even going through the motions. i sighed deeply as i wrote the days work on the board. i tried not to listen to the chatter from the class behind me and stay focused on getting the correct information up in front of them. as i turned around i caught the tail end of the descent of some unknown object that had been tossed across the room. i walked over to the windows to draw the blinds so the projection screen would be visible. as the room grew dark, i saw that all of my clothing had been outlined in one of the fluorescent dyes we used for experiments. i looked like a glowing rudimentary drawing. i started to try and figure out how in the hell they had accomplished the feat, but stopped myself when i realized it was just pushing me further off track. i pressed my eyes closed as the class erupted into laughter.

6 Comments:

At November 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Greenpa said...

oh, but! There are so many fun ways to keep their attention; like muttering just below audibility while facing the blackboard "Yeah, this part right here is going to count for 30% of your grade." Or bouncing the door right after the bell, big smile: "Ok! Quarter Exam today, right? Everyone put your books away, and be sure you've got 2 sharp pencils!" Some of them will stay petrified for a week, on that one. Or; "Gosh, sorry to tell you guys; but my mother is sick? So I've got to be away for a while? I hope it won't be more than a couple weeks? But don't worry, Mr./Ms (insert name of schools most hated/feared teacher) will be taking this class for me!?"

:-) They can smell fear, you know.

 
At November 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Greenpa said...

Oh, yeah; and a REAL one, from Smidgen's school. 8th grade English teacher, I think. She threatens disruptives; "I've read ALL of the 'Game of Thrones' books. Every time one of you kids screws up my class...? I'm going to tell the whole class who dies next on the TV series." Seems to be effective.

 
At November 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM , Blogger shandra beri said...

are you giving advice to my dream character about how to torture students?! lololololol.... ;p

Smidgen's teacher is an evil genius!

 
At November 16, 2014 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Greenpa said...

giving advice? Sure! I wanna see what she does with it in the next episode! :-)

 
At November 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM , Blogger shandra beri said...

if my dream history can be believed, she will never appear again. having said that, remind me never to take a class from you! ;)

 
At February 10, 2023 at 1:50 AM , Blogger nm8whz5xvz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home